Sunday, September 16, 2018

Day 3: Hike or Stroll?

This is Sunday, September 16th and our first morning in our Field BC Guesthouse. Pretty quiet during the night. We have our breakfast in our room comprised of 1/2 bagel for Lana and some bacon and banana. For me, mostly fruit = blueberries, bananas and raspberries. We needed to make our lunch for our hike. I made a sandwich with mayo, salami and Havarti cheese. Lana took the 1/2 of her burger from last night. Plus, some carrots, pepperoni stick, cheese and little french canapé toast.

We decide to do the Emerald Lake Basin trail which is advertised as a 'moderate' 10.8 km hike. Another webpage covers this hike in more detail. We were looking for a hike with some elevation and longish so our legs could be further strengthened. It is a very short drive from Field to the Emerald Lake lodge where we found parking on the side of the road. We arrived just before 11:00 and were not surprised by the beauty of Emerald Lake and how it derived its name. There are a number of tour buses already parked and many Asian tourists. Very short walk to the lake and many cameras. As usual, the speed limit into the lake on a beautiful road was 50 km/hour! What the heck!


Small restaurant near the Lodge. Beautiful location with a bridge for pedestrians and vehicles. Emerald green coloured lake.


Another view of the lake from a spot during our walk along the lake. As you can see very overcast with some patches of blue sky. 


This sign is at the entry to the Emerald Lake Circuit clockwise direction. It tells us we have 2.1 kms to the turnoff for the Emerald Basin hike. The Emerald Lake circuit hike is 5.3 kms. Once we have returned from the Emerald Basin/Waterfalls hike we will complete the circuit. Public washrooms available!


Great trail map that gives an overview of your hiking options. 


Lana on the Emerald Basin hike. We have emerged from the forest and have a good view of the Rockies mountains in the distance. On the way up we ran into a few groups coming back and nobody had reached the "basin". It seemed to be a mystery to them. We did find the basin, but probably went much further than them. We believe the mileage listed was too short. Fairly warm and when you ascend you get much warmer!


We find this convenient rock off the hiking trail for our lunch around 12:30. Good views of the mountains and a couple of waterfalls. Lots of landslides through here. A couple of twenty something girls pass on their way to the waterfalls and that was pretty much it for fellow hikers. 


Selfies at lunch. My cap is from my Nootka Elementary School 1966 graduating class to Grade 8 high school. Wow, I was last in elementary school 52 years ago! No moustache or grey hair then!


This is the Emerald Basin. 


After we finish our lunch I figure on hiking up to the waterfalls in the distance. By this time, Lana is pretty tired from the elevation hike gains and will wait for my return. Problem is it begins to rain within about 10 minutes of my departure so she decides to start hiking back to Emerald Lake. I am unaware of this. There is no cell coverage up here.

There are very few hikers in this area as almost all hikers will turn around once reaching the basin area. I had the waterfalls to myself. Once you get onto to the glacier scree/landslide rubble there really isn't a trail. In a few spots there might be a small trail to follow. You have to be very careful as it is very easy to break a leg/ankle or sprain your ankle on these rocks/boulders. 

From where we stopped for lunch it was around 25 minutes to the waterfalls area. Pretty decent ascent. Not sure it was worth it for these waterfalls though? It was good exercise and no other hikers. Have to careful on descent to find the trail again. The round trip from the lunch spot is about 45 minutes. 


One of the waterfalls (larger one of the two).


Selfie in front of the smaller waterfall. Starting to drizzle now. 


OK, I stopped at various places to take pictures of the unusual rocks/colours/combinations from the scree/landslides. I am sure a geologist would quickly ascertain what types of rocks they are?






As mentioned earlier, I was unaware Lana had decided to head back down the trail. Once I had gone by our lunch area I figured it out. Plus, the first group I came across coming up the trail, I asked if they had seen a Chinese woman hiking? The guy indicated yes there was a Chinese woman carrying a white plastic bag. Huh? I figured identifying Chinese woman was good enough. How many Chinese woman are hiking on this trail? Does adding "carrying a white plastic bag" offer any value?   :-)

During lunch I had indicated to Lana that she could hike back while I climbed to the waterfalls and I would still catch her. Well, now I had a good reason to walk at my usual fast pace and try to catch her before she reached Emerald Lake loop. I went at a good speed, but I didn't catch her as she had arrived at her seat around five minutes before me! Hey! Good speed by Lana and she had no worries about trying to move quicker while hiking when I am with her...

We decide to complete the Emerald Lake circuit trail by continuing our clockwise direction. After we leave the flood plain area we go into the trees and at times no sight of the lake. In addition, the trail has lots of tree roots, mud and foot bridges. Many puddles as it must have rained a short time ago. It does drizzle for a short time. Yup, we get muddy and the circuit trail seems longer than advertised after our hiking up into the basin/waterfalls. Check out the pictures of a bird that was within a metre of us on a rock by the lake. 


Steller's Jay




Information sign at the lake edge. I always wondered if there were fish in these beautifully coloured and cold lakes? Yes, there are fish and shrimp. Plus, the colour of the lake is derived from suspended rock 'flour' made up of grinding of rock by the receding glaciers!


Information signs at Emerald Lake. We will be hiking up to Burgess Shale on Tuesday. This is quite an elevation and now we understand better why it will be three hours hike just to get to the trilobite beds. 




We arrive back at our vehicle around 15:30 so a good day of hiking. Overall, the weather has been accommodating during our time here with not too much rain. We got to see the peaks of the surrounding mountains on occasion. Our legs certainly got a workout.

Lana's iPhone app stats:   21,000 steps and 15 kms distance
Randy's iPhone app stats:  22,000 steps and 16 kms distance and 85 floors
For certain, Lana's app is very generous with steps and distance, given I hiked up the waterfalls which is many more steps and distance...


Upon arrival at our guesthouse Lana is tired so goes into the bedroom for a good nap after her bath time. Our decision for dinner is to walk to The Siding Café located a short walk from our place. The reviews on Trip Advisor are excellent. We leave around 17:00 as the place closes at 18:00. It is raining hard. Lana grabs a complimentary umbrella on our way out. This small café is not as good as the reviews though. 


Upon arrival you find your own table. Go up to the counter and order your food and pay. You receive a number for your table and your food will show up. Randy orders a pulled pork sandwich and hot chocolate. Lana orders a Buddha bowl. I loved my hot chocolate. The sandwich was mediocre at best and Lana's bowl was good--shrimp, brown rice, red pepper, tomato, in a light coconut broth. We won't come back. Very casual and neighbourly place though. 


Interior pic of The Siding Café taken from their webpage. 


It has stopped raining as we leave. Yeh! My task is to complete our blog. Lana is watching various tv channels and helping dry my rainproof pants which got pretty muddy from the hiking along the lake. I finish the blog around 19:30. Oh yeah, I have yet to change my wrist watch to Mountain time.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rockies Trip Itinerary